This recipe is for my basic holiday baked ziti that is far from basic. It is just perfect and when it is cooking you know there will be family around and memories being made. I’ve made this for Easter 🐣 , Thanksgiving 🦃 , Christmas🎄 , big family get togethers and also for an average Sunday dinner. Sometimes all you need is a nap and baked ziti to get you ready for the week ahead.
Holiday Baked Ziti
- Homemade Marinara Sauce and a side of meatballs of course
- 1 pound of ziti rigati or really any pasta you prefer
- 28 oz. of whole milk ricotta
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup of grated pecorino romano and more for sprinkling on the end
- salt and pepper
- Make the sauce and meatballs ahead of time.
- Boil pasta based on directions on box (al dente).
- Drain and set aside.
- In a large bowl add the ricotta, egg, grated cheese, and a little bit of salt and pepper. Mix until combined.
- Add about 3 ladels of sauce and the pasta to the large bowl.
- Mix gently until combined.
- Put two ladels of sauce in a baking dish.
- Add the pasta mixture.
- Top with a ladel of sauce and sprinkle with grated pecorino.
- At this point you can cover tightly with foil and store in the fridge for the next day or bake.
- When ready to bake, preheat oven to bake 400 and bake covered for about 40 minutes or until bubbly and hot. ***Take baked ziti out of the fridge for about an hour before baking to cut down on cooking time.***
- While the baked ziti is cooking, heat your sauce.
- Serve in individual bowls, topped with sauce and more grated pecorino. Enjoy!
If you liked this recipe you’ll also enjoy: