First of all, you’re welcome for this one! I’m a coffee lover and this is one of those cakes that pairs perfectly with a hot cup of coffee.
This recipe is from my mother-in-law. She worked in a bank 35 years ago. She had a customer(I assume that is Annie), that owned a yarn shop in Sayville. She gave her this recipe and she’s been making it since. It’s made in a big sheet pan and feeds a crowd. This recipe is really simple and the only thing you’re making homemade are the crumbs! I think I may need to find Annie, whoever she is, and see what other recipes she has in her recipe book.
So, take a break in the middle of the day. Sometimes all we need is a cup of coffee and a little piece of cake to keep us going for the rest of the day😊. You don’t have to tell anyone you had a piece of cake in the middle of the day or that all you did was make the crumbs!
***My posts contains affiliate links and I will be compensated if you make a purchase after clicking on my links.***
Click here to shop some of my favorite items.
Annie's Crumb Cake
Ingredients1 box of yellow cake mix
- 2 cups of flour
- 2 sticks of COLD unsalted butter
- 2/3 cup of sugar
- 3 teaspoons of cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon of nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla
- Powdered sugar for sprinkling in the end.
DirectionsPreheat oven to 350
- Prepare cake mix as per directions on the box
- Pour in a large greased pan (16 x 12 is recommended. Any large sheet pan will do. The larger the sheet pan, the less time it will take to cook)
- Bake for 20 minutes
- When done shut off the oven.
- While the cake is baking, prepare the crumbs.
- Mix together the flour, sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg.(If you have a sifter, sift the ingredients together)
- Add the vanilla and mix well.
- Add the butter and cut it in until crumbs form.
- Sprinkle the cake with all of the crumbs mixture that you made.
- Put the pan back in the oven(oven is off)for 10 minutes. (That is the original instructions. After making this several times myself, I feel like the crumbs need more time in the oven. I keep the oven on and bake for the 10 minutes. Then I turn the oven off and leave it in for 5 more minutes.)
- Cool and sprinkle with powdered sugar.
If you like this you’ll love: